Here it comes! We all thought that somehow we were going to escape the snow this year in NJ, but Mother Nature has different ideas.
This is not JUST SNOW. It’s wind, heavy snow, blinding snow and it’s going to accumulate FAST.
If you don’t have a generator, to ride out the storm, try some of these tips, incase you lose power. If you did not plan ahead, there is still time on Monday morning to get moving. Here are some ideas for how to be better prepared and weather the storm.
Remember: You can’t change the weather and the repercussions from the storm, but you can change your attitude. Stay positive; this too shall pass.
1. Stock up on non-perishable foods – start eating everything in your fridge that can go bad first. Try to freeze some things that you can thaw out later if the lights go out. If you do lose power, grab a cooler and put food outside to stay cold.
2. Fill your cars with gas before it begins to snow.
3. Fill your gas containers if you have any – you may extra gas later and we won’t get deliveries for a couple of days.
4. Check all flashlights and make sure you have extra batteries.
5. Get all of your laundry done NOW!
6. Bring your garbage cans inside, or you may not be able to find them later.
7. Put salt down on your walkways before it snows.
8. Charge all of your electronics and your back up batteries.
9. Stock up on firewood, kindling and consider buying a Dura-flame log to be on the safe side. Get plenty of matches or lighters.
10. Make sure you have a good supply of chocolate and alcohol!
11. Check on elderly neighbors who are alone.
12. Get all cars off of the street so the roads can be cleared.
13. If you have a fire hydrant on your property, make sure it is cleared of snow as soon as possible.
14. Refill any prescriptions that are running low – you may not be able to get out for a couple of days.
15. If you have pets at home, make sure you don’t forget food and treats. They are going to have a rough time in this weather too.
16. Keep your sense of humor and don’t forget to pray, stretch and do some exercise while you are cooped up inside. This is a great time to tackle a project at home that you have been putting off. Just go with the flow and try to enjoy your the passage of time.